Isolation & Social Engagement
Stockport Mind is an independent mental health charity that offers friendly, accessible support and information to promote wellbeing in the community.
Set up by a group of volunteers in 1971, we are affiliated to national Mind, one of the leading mental health charities in England and Wales.
Despite this affiliation, we are an independent charity. We are overseen by a board of Trustees, with services delivered by paid staff and volunteers, a number of whom have experienced mental distress and used a range of support services.
Values and Ethos – we have:
• Respect for people, their experiences and opinions
• A belief in the principle of recovery and working with people to achieve their full potential
• An inclusive and welcoming service that is open access and signposts to an alternative service where we cannot deliver an appropriate service
• A belief in a social rather than a medical model of mental distress, focussing on the person as a whole rather than on a diagnosis
Stockport and District Mind works towards a society where anyone who experiences mental distress is supported in their recovery, empowered to reach their full potential, and they and their family/Carers are free from stigma and discrimination.
Our key aims are:
• To deliver high quality, appropriate services within Stockport and Cheshire East.
• To work with Mind nationally, in line with their values
• Raising awareness of mental health, to reduce stigma and discrimination
• Working within a recovery framework
• Involving people with experience of mental health problems in every aspect of our work
Relationship between local Minds and National Mind
As mentioned above, we are affiliated to Mind but are an independent mental health charity. We are one of over 100 local Minds in a network that covers England and Wales.