Isolation & Social Engagement
Stockport Mind Mental Health - About us
Stockport Mind is an independent adult mental health charity that offers friendly, accessible support and information to promote well-being in the community.
Stockport Mind was set up by a group of volunteers in 1971 and is affiliated to National Mind, one of the leading mental health charities in England and Wales.
We are run by a board of Trustees, volunteers and paid staff, a number of whom have experienced mental distress and used a range of support services.
Values and Ethos
Stockport and District Mind has:
• Respect for people, their experiences and their opinions
• A belief in the principle of recovery and working with people to achieve their full potential
• An inclusive and welcoming service that is open access and signposts to an alternative service where we cannot deliver an appropriate service
• A belief in a social rather than a medical model of mental distress, focussing on the person as a whole rather than on a diagnosis
Stockport and District Mind works towards a society where anyone who experiences mental distress is supported in their recovery, empowered to reach their full potential, and they and their family/Carers are free from stigma and discrimination.
We aim to do this by:
• Delivering high-quality and appropriate services within Stockport and the surrounding area
• By working with Mind nationally in line with their values
• Raising awareness of mental health, to reduce stigma and discrimination
• Working within a recovery framework
• Involving people with experience of mental health problems in every aspect of our work
Relationship between local Minds and National Mind
As mentioned above, Stockport Mind is an independent adult mental health charity. We are one of over 120 local Minds throughout England and Wales, in a network which runs in partnership with the National Mind charity.
Living Wage Employer
We are accredited with the Living Wage Foundation and are therefore a Real Living Wage Employer.
This means that we pay all our staff and contractors at least the £9.50 UK rate of hourly pay, to qualify for the accreditation. To view the page where we list any job opportunities we have, please click here.
Disability Confident Employer
We are also a Disability Confident Employer, a scheme which supports employers to make the most of the talents disabled people can bring to the workplace. Through Disability Confident, employers are:
- challenging attitudes towards disability
- increasing understanding of disability
- removing barriers to disabled people and those with long-term health conditions
- ensuring that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations