Isolation & Social Engagement
Stockport Mind Mental Health Carers Support Service
Do you provide emotional and/or practical mental health support to a relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without your help? If so, you may be able to receive support as a Carer.
Our Carers Support Service is for the Carers of adults who have a mental health problem or are experiencing emotional distress.
We provide confidential, impartial information, support and advice to adult mental health Carers, where the cared-for person lives between the postcodes SK1 and SK8.
At times, due to your caring responsibilities, you may not be able to take care of your own wellbeing, which can impact on what you want to achieve – we are here to help.
Our support will be led by you to identify ways to assist you in your caring role.
You are not alone. We recognise the invaluable role Carers play in helping relatives, partners and friends in their recovery.
Get in touch
Telephone: 0161 475 6229 (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and 9.00am – 4.30pm Fridays)
You might want to:
- Get out into the community, meet other people and get involved with local groups
- Get involved with education and/or improve your skills
- Participate in social activities
- Receive support to gain/retain employment
- Support you to access information and advice about mental health
- Contact relevant professionals on your behalf i.e. Care Co-ordinators
- Help you to access courses to develop good coping skills and strategies to assist in your caring role
- Signpost to relevant services i.e. Carers groups, courses, benefit advice, counselling etc
How can we help you?
We provide emotional and practical support, both one-to-one and in groups. This could be:
- Home visits (will resume when Coronavirus restrictions allow)
- Meetings in the community (will resume when Coronavirus restrictions allow)
- By you attending our monthly Carers drop-in group, which is on the first Wednesday of each month, from 10am at Stockport Baptist Church (will resume when Coronavirus restrictions allow – get in touch for details of Zoom group)
- Over the phone or email
- We also run workshops and social outings for Carers
Under the Care Act 2014, we have some specific duties:
- To carry out assessments under the Care Act, for eligible Carers
- Help you put together a support plan to meet your assessed needs
- Review with you your support plan at agreed intervals
- “I couldn’t really see a future. But then I was referred to Stockport Mind Carers Service, and through the support received, I have changed. I have come a long way since my first meeting with the team, and with their continued support, I feel able to face the future, whatever it may bring.”
- “I’ve had loads of support, useful information, advice and have been challenged – which is important – challenging how I’m reacting to certain things which can exacerbate my loved one’s condition. I just wish I’d known about this earlier. I had been caring for my son for 12 years without any support for myself. To be able to talk to like-minded people going through what you are, at the drop-in groups and workshops, helps enormously.
- “I want to say a massive thank you to Stockport Mind for being there, but also what I think they’re doing in Stockport is creating a fantastic community – it’s not just helping individual Carers, but it’s like a ripple effect. Carers can be friends with each other and support each other. It’s got a knock-on, community effect. I think you may not realise how much impact what you’re doing has on Stockport and people’s lives generally. I just want to say thank you very much for everything you’re doing, and keep going.”
We know everyone is different and are committed to listen to you and work alongside you.
Our trained and qualified Carers Support Workers and Volunteers – who have a strong understanding and awareness of mental health problems – will work with you to help you improve your wellbeing.
Some of the people supported by our Carers Team have gone onto Volunteer with us. Maybe you too, in time, could become part of our team and use your skills, knowledge and expertise to inspire and support others.