Small Charity Week

Small Charity Week

  • Post author:
  • Post category:News

This week is Small Charity Week, an event which sets out to raise the profile of small charities.

Given we’re a small charity, we thought we would produce a blog post highlighting some of the work we do.

We’re a local independent mental health charity, affiliated to National Mindproviding direct support to people in Stockport and the surrounding district.

With 11 staff and 37 volunteers, we provide a range of services:
– A one-to-one Link Work service. The workers support people discharged from secondary mental health care services within the last 12 months.
– A carers support service, to provide support to the carers of people struggling with mental health.
– A weekly drop-in group and other members groups.
– Mental health awareness training at schools, businesses, public events etc.
– Confidence Courses

For any more information on the above you can email or phone 0161 480 7393.

You can find out more about the Carers service on this video, filmed and edited by one of our volunteers:

With our volunteer network being over three times the size of the staff team, the work that they do for this small charity is invaluable. We simply couldn’t function without them.

We recently produced this video showcasing the work of four of our volunteers who specialise in the Reception area of our office:

We take over 10,000 phone calls per year, reach out to tens of thousands on social media and support people via over 1000 face to face activities per year.

65% of our revenue is from commissioned services so the other 35% is needed to both provide these services and sustain our charity. Where possible this comes from grants, but donations play a big part too.

Some of our bigger donations come from sponsor organisations who choose us as their Charity of the Year. Ficthner raised over £7000 for us whilst we were theirs, and as Avecto and CDL’s at present, they’ve managed to raise lots for us. Over £7300 was raised through the Great Manchester Run event last month, in large part thanks to those two companies.

If you would like to donate to us, you can do so here

We have an e-newsletter if you want to sign up to receive monthly email updates on what we’re doing, and you can find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, InstagramYouTube and SoundCloud

We also provide a signposting and information service, so if you would like to find out more about other services in Stockport, feel free to get in touch.